As we move into an era of technological advancements, the change in demands and user requirements is inevitable. To sustain competitive goals, individuals and businesses opt for newly upgraded gadgets while ditching the old ones. This rapid change, in reality, is leading to accumulation of million tons of electronic waste worldwide.
But have you ever given a thought that the so-called e-waste was once manufactured exploiting 530 pounds of fossil fuels, 48 pounds of chemicals and 1.5 tons of water – the resource requirement for manufacture of one computer. It is estimated that in 2018 the amount of e-waste generated worldwide will reach 49.8 million. The only way to save these resources is environmental friendly e-waste recycling.
If you need some more reasons to go green, here are some FAQs discussed that reflect the significance of green e-waste recycling.
Why Is Electronics Recycling Important?
- Rich sources of precious materials – Electronic waste contains 40 to 50 times the amount of gold and other precious metals excavated from the ground.
The good conductors of electricity – gold and silver are found in printed circuit boards. The semiconductors – germanium, gallium and indium are required in making semiconductor devices. Besides, tin and lead are important to be used in soldering and coating of component leads. Mercury is needed in fluorescent tubes. Aluminium, a good conductor is used in heat sink while zinc is used in painting steel components. Every metal and non-metal used in a gadget has a high economic value.
- Toxic Materials – There are a number of toxic materials in old electronics that pose a serious challenge to public health and the environment. Elements such as lead, mercury, arsenic, cadmium, selenium, hexavalent chromium and flame retardants are all referred as hazardous waste.
- Health Risks – When the primitive approach to recycling is used, the toxic substances are released into the environment. In such case, untrained workers disassemble, assort and sell the materials. These recyclers are just interested in aluminium, copper, lead and steel. Hence, everything else is burnt using fire or buried. Due to the fact, toxic metals seep into freshwater bodies and soil that can lead to serious mental and physical disorders in human beings.
On the other hand, formal recyclers use an eco-friendly way that enhances resource recovery.
What’s So Great About Going Green?
The risks listed above drive the global push to “go green”.
- Better for the planet – Electronic recycling reduces landfill space, saves energy, lowers water and air pollution and conserves the natural resources. Ultimately, it saves our planet from huge detriment.
- Saves you money – About 70% of energy is saved if electronic goods are manufactured using recycled materials instead of raw ones. This reduces manufacturing and maintaining costs. This indirectly helps us to save on our expenses.
- Reduces carbon footprint – Recycling diverts all the trash from landfills and incinerators where a high amount of carbon emissions are seen. Thus, it significantly helps reduce the carbon footprint.
- Makes way for new jobs – The eco-friendly recycling creates millions of jobs. It gives a chance to authorised recyclers and refurbishers to open new channels for employment. Waste collection, segregation, transportation and other such activities involved in recycling create new jobs. When you endeavour to go green, people are given an opportunity to earn a living and a chance to save our planet.
What Can you Do on Day-to-Day basis?
Plenty of things!
- Smart purchasing – Think before you buy. Find out if you really need a new gadget. If yes, opt for refurbished electronics or those that are manufactured using recycled components.
- Recycling – Send all your obsolete electronic devices to authorised recycling centres
- Avoid dumping e-waste in the trash – Ensure that your e-waste is not going to a landfill or an incineration site
- Donate – Donate them responsibly when the time comes to those who need it
- Stay informed about going green – Always look for green recycling programmes happening in your city. Get the latest updates on how to go green
Contributions of Veracity World in driving the effective e-waste Management
Veracity World is the green market leader that endeavours in meeting the environmental goals. It is one of the most dynamic recycling companies in UAE that are well-aware of e-waste hazards as well as benefits. Keeping the focus on safe and secure recycling process it aims at providing people with better opportunities for e-waste disposal.
If you are finding out ways to go green, Veracity World is the place. Bring your discarded electronics here and contribute towards green e-waste management. If you are following this green revolution, you’ve earned it!